Non-Dependent Deduction

A non-dependent is someone, other than your partner who is over 18, not in full-time education, who works or claims benefit.

A non-dependent will be expected to pay a contribution to your rent if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit. Your Housing Benefit will be reduced accordingly.

Non-dependents do not include:

  • Boarders or lodgers
  • Tenants, Joint Tenants or Sub Tenants
  • Professional Carers
  • Visitors whose normal home is elsewhere

Non-dependent deduction will not be made if you or your partner is:

  • Registered blind
  • Receiving attendance allowance
  • Receiving care component of DLA

No deductions will be made if the non-dependent is:

  • Receiving Pension Credit
  • Age under 25 and receives Income Support or Income-based Jobseeker Allowance
  • Receives a Youth Training Allowance
  • Is a prisoner
  • Is a full-time student
  • Has been in hospital for more than 52 weeks

For more information, please visit NIHE